PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Florida

DonF
09-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Hi, I'm Don from Florida. Looking to finally get my 85' on the road again. I bought it when I graduated high school in 89, ended up killing the little 307 around 92'. Replaced it with a 455 from a Delta 88 and after spinning a bearing in 96' I finally rebuilt it in 07' only to have really bad oil pressure.
Well it's time to get after it again and solve the problem, did all the easy checks and it comes down to internal and having to pull it back out. I've been thinking of maybe doing an LS swap, I would so love to make this my daily driver again after 20 years. 13991400

88hurstolds
09-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Nice car, stay with the Olds IMO, everyone these days are doing LS swaps and an Olds needs an Olds.
Bad oil pressure can be attributed to poor clearances. Check out Bill Travatos new book on building an Olds engine the right way.

bigblocks4life
09-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Welcome Don! Would stick with the Olds also! I have a 455 in my 84 ho and I love it! Understand having problems with oil pressure though as mine had problems with that as well. Olds engines aren't known for oil pressure. They pump too much oil into the upper half of the engine and can actually suck the pan dry! There are fixes for them though, my 455 has about 60psi driving and about 30 psi idling in gear. How bad is your pressure?