PDA

View Full Version : faint gauge cluster/dash light output

ED78CUTLASS
11-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I will be changing out some bad bulbs on my dash and wanted to know if there is a higher wattage/output bulb for the gauge cluster on the 78 cutlass. I have never been happy with the brightness and would like to get a bit more.
Does anybody know of a specific aftermarket part number?
Any info is appreciated.

OLDSMORAT
11-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem. You might try some #194 led blubs. Also you can get different colors also it helped my dash lights. Hope it helps you

ED78CUTLASS
11-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks,
Are these direct plug in replacements to the existing bulbs (wedge socket)? Are these readily available at the local auto parts?

88hurstolds
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes they are wedge socket and are a direct fit.
LED's are great for solving this problem so long as they don't get too hot.

Never get the the higher output standard bulbs, they emit more heat and melt their surroundings over time. Especially places like reverse lights, corner lights, heater vent controls and opera lights for t-top cars.

ED78CUTLASS
11-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks gentlemen.:icon14:
Hopefully will give it a shot this weekend.

OLDSMORAT
11-11-2009, 11:33 PM
An led bulb do not emit much heat. They burn cooler than a regular bulb. If you can't find them at a auto parts. Go to a big truck supply store i know most of them carry them. Hope this helps you out.
Later texas oldsmorat:d

ED78CUTLASS
11-15-2009, 09:54 PM
I went ahead, found them at AutoZone, and installed them yesterday. They definitely made a difference. Although the dimmer intensity no longer seems to work but I do not care since it never really made a difference.
Happy with the result.:)
Thanks.

JohnnySun13
09-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Is there any way you can post pics? I'm about to do this and debating on whether or not to do do LEDs or not...I doubt anyone has done that. If so , I'd love to see

mike87442
09-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Have also heard that painting the inside of the gage surround silver helps too

Stevejohnson
12-04-2012, 01:59 AM
I will be changing out some bad bulbs on my dash and wanted to know if there is a higher wattage/output Peimar led (http://www.niceledlights.com) for the gauge cluster on the 78 cutlass. I have never been happy with the brightness and would like to get a bit more.
Does anybody know of a specific aftermarket part number?
Any info is appreciated.
You need to try led bulbs or lights. They perform very well and last long too

sunpialia
06-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Most people would choose the LED lights for cars (http://www.ledlightshub.com) or also house decoration. So do I. After all, the LED car lights are getting more and more available and affordable in the cars and motors and would make your cars look greater.

DanielHunter
06-28-2013, 03:47 AM
Most people would choose the LED lights (http://www.niceledlights.com) for cars or also house decoration. So do I. After all, the LED car lights are getting more and more available and affordable in the cars and motors and would make your cars look greater.
These lights are good for sure.. bright and cheap.. I am just changing all my home lights with leds and hope the electricity bill to come down

Oldsie
06-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Can you get the LED's in a clear color? IIRC, I put 194's into the gauge cluster when I had it out, but I may change them out before I start driving it so I don't melt the plastic.