PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster doesn't work?

tazjamin
07-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi i am working on my 82 cutlass my speedo works and my car started overheating and no light kicked on so i decieded to find a cluster with the tach and temp gauges so i plugged that in and i can still only get the speedo to work the tach i know there is a wire i have to find and connect im not worried about that yet but need to know how to connect it soon but i really need to figure why i get no lights on cluster and no gauges please help me thanks.

Oldsie
07-09-2012, 10:31 PM
I've had some problems with my instrument cluster too...read some of my posts. Here's a link with some good information:

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_rallye_swap.php

Read the electrical section of this forum...gives you more great info. Also, try to find a Chassis Service Manual...not hard to find, and not very expensive. Try Factory Auto Manuals, for one.

88hurstolds
07-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Wiring scheme and sensors are different.

tazjamin
07-10-2012, 01:47 AM
yep i confirmed that i will start switching the wires tomorrow the left blinker is on all the time and when you turn the left turn signal the light turn on and off. i was reading the reference manual about the coolant sensor im going to buy a new one but if that doesn't work can i just run a wire strait to the cluster

88hurstolds
07-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Make sure you get a sender not a sensor, some parts stores will mess up...
Correct part number is 25036628, it's a two blade connector with one blade for the idiot light (green/white wire) and the other for the gauge (green wire)
You'll need the proper connector as well.
If you can't find the sender and connector I have a new sender and used connector lead available for $35 shipped

tazjamin
07-10-2012, 11:17 PM
i may take u up on that sensor i cant seem to find it with the connector

Curless
07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
If you go to NAPA and get a decent sales person they can get all of the stuff you need.