Thread: Project "White Lightning"

Default Project "White Lightning"

Picked up a new project for a daily driver during the summer a couple of months ago for $1000 but haven't done a thing to it since it came home due to the weather.
    It is one of approximately 400 1985 442's that came from the factory in white.
    It's very clean and complete for the most part. The previous owners had stuffed a Chebby in it, put a euro header on and swapped the original Dark Claret for a med Dark Gray interior.
    I wound up with another 85 442 parts car for $500 with a very nice and complete Dark Claret interior and a correct 307 and OZ TH 2004R.

I've decided to put a 403 in it and keep the 307 on the side. I picked a nice 403 over a a few months ago and have found some nicely built #5 Street/Strip big valve heads by Greg Godon on RealOldsPower.com with Street/Strip porting, 2.02 / 1.60, stainless valves , 64cc chamber, Isky Springs, Comp Cams steel retainers and a Serdi multi-angle valve job etc... I guess there's about $1,800 total into these heads.
    I'm currenly deciding on the cam and how far I want to "get into" the motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

So far I have the interior out and the front end taken apart and prepped for paint, the first coat went on last night and another will follow today and tomorrow the A/C box will go in and the floor will get prepped.
    Dirty
    EB Cradle.jpgEBDFC.jpg
    Clean
    EBFirewallclean.jpgEBclean.jpg

Floors, fire wall and engine bay are all painted, I've been painting small stuff lately and preping an 87 307 to use while I build the 403 and collect exhaust parts. The 403 will run on the computer, I've spoken to a few that have done it and one guy is running low 12's on it. I want it done right so I'm thinking the beginning of August it will be complete but I want to drive it in the mean time.
    I'll have it running by the end of this week and put the interior in next week and have it on the road by the end of next week, at least I hope... I have all the parts just need to find the time.

The 87 442 VIN 9 307 is in along with a number of other small items besides what's in the photo, got allot done last night. So far the engine is all wired and plummed, AC is going in along with the core support trans lines and radiator this weekend. Gotta bleed the master cylinder as well... hope to have the front clip back on by early next week and start on the interior.
    I pulled the trans pan on the 85 442 OZ TH2004R and the fluid wasn't burnt but there was a layer of black gunk on the bottom, no shavings or pieces of band in the pan though.
    Not sure if the previous owner had changed the filter and fluid or not, torque converter wasn't stock, not sure what the stall is but it's not stamped 5 along the perimeter for a D5 converter. I switched it with a rebuilt correct D5 converter, we'll see what happens...
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 H/O Triple Black
    85 442 White/Sage
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Here are a few photos of the engine, exhaust manifolds, trans, Lightning rods shifter linkage and crossmember.

Everything is together and I tried to fire it up last night but I have to do a few adjustments to the distributor tonight.

Once it runs and nothing is leaking I'll put on the fenders/header/hood and exhaust and drive it around a bit to check for any bugs.

The interior is pretty much done now, just need to install the Door Panels and Lightning Rods, that's last on the list. I'll grab a few photos once I have the car outside, garage is too dark...

The 403 is still a work in progress, I keep getting more and more stuff for it. Might as well do it right I guess...
    Just picked up some extremely rare TRW 403 0.030" forged pistons that have been discontinued for 10 years and a 330 Forged Steel Crank is on the way.
    Just need to pick up a flex plate, rods, roller rockers, intake, balancer, girdle and few small odds and ends before it heads to the machine shop. I have the cam picked out and it's an bad ass Ultradyne special grind

Latest local score for the car was a pair of solid rust free doors with shaved door handles, Grand Prix front frame brace, 36mm F-body front sway bar, Iceman solid bushing boxed lower control arms and an aluminum core support.
    I'll be shaving the trunk lock as well as putting on my aluminum hood with a Hurst hood scoop and rear spoiler when it goes for paint next year.

Picked up an entire bucket seat sage green interior only offered in 1985, extremely rare, I even have the matching green sport steering wheel. Sage green was offered in 1986 and 87 but not in the bucket/console setup, just bench.
    I'll be buying new carpet and dying a dash and console if I decide to put this in the 442, it's up in the air right now but I think it would look cool with the white, gray, gold and green all together... the sage green closely resembles the color of money.

Here's a photo of the sage green steering wheel.
    If I didn't have these buckets or this steering wheel I don't think I would have bothered gathering the rest of the interior. I also managed to find a mint condition sage green gauge surround pad as well.

Been crusin in this beast for a couple months, its pretty quick for a 307.
    Runs very smooth, turn key... rebuilt 87 442 VIN 9 307, low mile 87 Salon TH2004R with a mild shift kit, 83 Hurst Olds VIN 9 3.73 Posi and Lightning Rods!
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 H/O Triple Black
    85 442 White/Sage
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

So I found a Ttop body unexpectedly, rock solid with exception to some light surface rust on the floors and a hole on the trans hump and just one spot above the prop valve / frame on the drivers side floor... very odd to see the side of the passengers side trans hump rotted out by the shifter.
    Quarters/rockers etc all amazingly clean, front clip is boogered up, hood is toast along with the doors and fenders.
    I'll never understand fully why these Gbodies rust in the weirdest ways...
    Plans are to swap over all parts to this one from my hard top instead of grafting a T-top roof onto it.

Disassembled the fronts of both cars yesterday and swapped the whole front section off the one car to the other in one shot without having to drain any fluids

Engine
    Trans
    A/C
    Radiator
    Exhaust (up to cat)
    Core Support
    Header Panel
    Bumper Cover

More progress... front clip is on, exhaust, HVAC, trans and everything is hooked up under the hood and the dash is in.
    I spent a few days cleaning and painting the trunk area wheel wells and floors last week, figured I'd do it while I can.
    Still have a couple holes to patch up in the floor, I'm going to use a few plates as temporary until I can weld in something this winter.
    Rest of the interior is going in tonight, rear suspension goes on tomorrow, I would've been driving this today if I had spent time on it over the long weekend.
    Hope to have it on the road by Friday.

Another beast brought back from the dust, 8 days 4 hours afterwork each day, gased it up and filled up the air shocks
    Still need to button up the front clip and an eletrical gremlin that makes the glove box light blink when the LH turn signal is on and kills the LH tail light when the lights are on.
    Panting this bitch this winter...
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 H/O Triple Black
    85 442 White/Sage
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Installed some new tires, 225 60 15 up front and 275 60 in the rear.
    I like how it handles, especially in the rain however I have about a 1/4" of room near the frame rail, I added 1/8" spacers as added insurance.
    Started to swap out the front bumper cover and header for 442 originals and got rained out today, calling for snow tomorrow :?
    Still a debate on weather I want to keep the side moldings or not, I kinda like them but they are old and ragged.
    I wish someone would reproduce them, correctly at least...

Update, finally getting another 403 together.
    Found a lower mile 403, Super comp headers, E-brock RPM intake, Lunati Voodoo cam, #6 heads from a '70 Rallye 350 that have monster valves and porting done to them. I have a few other things going on right now (building a shop) but hope to have the engine together and in this summer.

58cc chambers - 9.6:1 with a 0.040 gasket or 9.9:1 with a 0.027 gasket.
    stainless valves 2.072" int. and 1.710" exh.
    Flow # est. @25" water
    .100...... 80 in........ 55 exh.
    .200...... 152 in........ 109 exh.
    .300...... 213 in........ 150 exh.
    .400...... 238 in........ 167 exh.
    .500...... 253 in........ 179 exh.
    .600...... 262 in........ 186 exh.
    Lunati springs [email protected] and [email protected]" for .680 -.680 lift solid roller (which I will most likely change out)
    valves = stainless 2.072" int. and 1.710" exh.
    1/2" bolt holes
    Center exh. ports flush
    Crossovers filled
    Also scored a set of Smith Bros. push rods ( 5/16 X .116 8.350" long)

Lunati Voodoo cam:
    Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268

• Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227
    • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .499/.510
    • LSA/ICL: 112/108
    • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
    • RPM Range: 1300-5500

Hesitant, but I may change to this cam if I feel that I can get away with driving on the street daily with it:

• Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
    • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 227/233
    • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .510/.522
    • LSA/ICL: 110/106
    • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
    • RPM Range: 1600-5800
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 H/O Triple Black