GbodyOlds.com

Thread: New Guy from the West Coast of Canada

Icon6 New Guy from the West Coast of Canada

Hi all, and I finally found a place concerned with the G body Cutlass.
    Last year I picked one up and have been having a ball with it. It's a surviour and will remain a surviour so long as I own it. This is my second surviour, the previous one being (and don't hold it against me) was a 1974 Dodge Challenger with only 32000 miles on it when I bought it in 2002 from the original owner. The Cutlass has a few more miles under it's belt, but it's in great condition and is giving me a lot of pleasure. It's #14 of 280 1988 Cutlass GT'S modified for some Olds dealers in North Carolina. There were to be 400 done, but as sales were in the dumper, only 280 were done. I am the documented 6th owner. It had 3 owners in North Carolina, and one in Georgia, before being sold through Auction to the Auto Gallery Museum. It was brought into the West Coast of Canada in 2012 and I purchased it from that owner in 2015.
    It would be interesting to know how many of these modified Cutlass's remain.
    Any how that's a bit about me and the last couple of cars I've had the pleasure to own.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum!
    You are the first one that owns one of these and know's what they're all about
    Many I've seen claim that they were a factory GM car and argue about it until their face turned blue lol
    Here is a piece of documentation for you, the dealer invoice showing the modifications, enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Thanks for the welcome and the documentation.
    I have a letter from Joe Johnston of Tops & Trends in Kernersville N.C. In it he states that between November of 1987 and March of 1988 they converted 280 Cutlasses for the North and South Carolina Oldsmobile dealers. This modification cost the dealers $595.00. There was also two aftermarket wheel options, but only 5 cars had those installed. Those that think that this was a GM option are totally wrong. I have I guess, a quote to the GM dealers that were involved in this conversion from Tops & Trends, advising them of what would be done to the cars, what not to order from GM and the installed price of the conversion.
    It was fun looking up the previous owners and getting all the documentation. I even managed to speak with the owner in Georgia on the phone. I haven't been able to contact any of the other previous owners, but I do have a title application for the first person(a lady) in North Carolina.

I have something that has bugged me since the day I brought the car home. There are in the wheel well openings holes drilled for wheel opening mouldings, but there are no wheel opening mouldings on the car. So I wonder did the car not come with them, or were they removed by Tops & Trends. If you can I'd sure like to know what the option code was for the wheel opening mouldings. The local GM dealer is a dud when it comes to getting any information about older cars.

Thanks again.

The wheel well moldings were removed. VIN9 cars didn't have those holes in the quarter lips.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Thanks for that information on the mouldings. Saves me a lot of time and probably a fair amount of money.