85-87 442

Thread: Power Seat Motor/ Couple- Remove & Replace Help/ 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Br

Icon2 Power Seat Motor/ Couple- Remove & Replace Help/ 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Br

I?m seeking some assistance, technical information regarding the ?power seat motor/ couple? removing and replacing. More so, I would appreciate any diagrams or technical expertise relating to the removal of the front bench seat in the aforesaid vehicle. I?ve sent out numerous requests to many people hoping to receive a response, yet bthe information is slow to arrive; if at all.

To this point, I have removed all of the plastic casings covering the seat bolts, irrespective of the back two casings behind the driver seat which have pins. The pins have been removed but the casings cannot be removed due to the seat rail covering them. It appears there is a piece of plastic covering the bolt head which is adhered to the casing (plastic cover).

The situation had arisen when I had taken my vehicle to a repair shop to diagnose a SES (Service Engine Soon Light) being activated. In the process, the mechanic broke the power seat couple (6 way power seat), the did not bring the fact to my attention. Not to delve further into this, my seat is in the far back position, as I?m not that tall. In the interim, I have placed a cushion to the back of the seat to move me forward. This is truly embarrassing.

The shaft of the motor still spins freely whether using any of the seat selectors. There is only one motor (Direct Drive) with no solenoids. I?ve perused a thread here regarding the issue but the information is scarce. I tried removing the motor as having 7 mm screws (2) in which there are supposedly 3, but could not see how the motor is attached to the casing. I even propped up the front seat to gain more access and I still cannot determine how the motor is removed. Hopefully, the part I ordered from Parts Place in Chicago will fit (GM- 20614175). There is no certainty that this shall resolve the issue but hopefully I can move forward with some assistance on this forum.

I?ll include a brief video uploaded to YouTube showing the area in question with some pictures. I?m using the link as a technical reference point for everyone that may be of assistance. Any and all information relating to the abo ve topic is most appreciated. Thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3NHt9Va8Xs

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Theres 3 screws holding in the motor, just slide out and slide in the new coupler.
    Not sure why you're having an issue
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

I removed the two forward 7mm bolts on the motor but cannot see the third in back. How many bolts are under the plastic covers behind the drivers seat, one or two? It appears to be two. Could you assist? I did not receive a notification. Thanks.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Finally got the couple in, seat operating in all six positions. I did not pull the seat, rather popping the two forward driver side bolts. That third 7 mm bolt in the back was a little testy. Actually, I managed to get it back on. I believe that my Olds' 86' has one motor, direct drive. Two separate mechanics said there were three motors; "don't think so" > your opinion here. One mechanic wished to have $350.00 and that was providing there would be no problems. The other mechanic wanted $120.00 for two hours, contingent upon how the seat would come out. The first mechanic was charging more than a dealer $115.00 an hour. Mechanics are really thieves in this generation and they know not of older cars, only pretending to be knowledgeable. I asked the first mechanic if he could do it for $230.00 for that was what he figured in the time. However, he said it could go over two hours and further mentioned, "we are honest" and would not overcharge you. Great line for someone who knew not that there were two bolts on each side of the rear (Driver seat) and said there were three motors. I even said there were two bolts on each side but he said 'no'. In fact, there are two bolts on each side (rear) driver seat. Get back to me when you get a chance.

Anyways, how do I know if the couple is fully seated? I would not wish for it to slide.

The 3 motor seat mechanism was a later design in lue of the brittle transmission that cracks and falls apart over time from dryrot. The 3 motor design came out in '87 some say but my '87 442 doesn't have one. These tracks were used on other models so they may have came in heavier bench seat cars first.

The coupling will have some back and forth play to prevent binding.

I don't trust any mechanics, I do my own work.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Icon3

Thank you very much for the reply. I've included two pictures; one showing the broken couple on the motor that was broken by a mechanic while performing a diagnostic test in moving the seat. The second picture depicts two couples: 1.) Left- From Chicago Parts Place- It is short in diameter as well as height, heavier than GBody 2.) On right is Gbody coupler received from Brian Weaver whereby the color is different and there is less weight. According to Brian, he performed all the R&D to match the properties of the original, in being able to flex should there be a problem with the motor. It stands to reason that the couple should flex to avoid breaking any internal gears in the transmission box. How relevant that may be is unknown to me but it seems logical.
    Attached Images Attached Images