85-87 442

Thread: where woud one find a proper diagram.

Default where woud one find a proper diagram.

I am having all kinds of wiring issues , which i believe are coming from the crappy wire job done on the cd/stereo that came in the car when i bought it.
    i have a haynes repair manual, but it covers 70-90 buick olds and pontiac , so it is not specific to the car.

none of my dash lights work at night, and the spedometer does not work, unless i turn the wind shield wipers on the dash lights work for about two seconds.

in the manual that i have there is a grey wire that says interior lights, i am wondering if that is the wire taht i need to be working on?

Sounds like you possibly have a ground issue, there is one ground junction behind the cluster above the steering column that has about 6+ different grounds all coming to one junction and then grounded to the steering column support by a clip which may have come lose. These grounds come from lights, sensors, etc... I suggest you get a chassis service manual if you plan on getting in deep behind the dash to tackle this.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

wow. sounds like a lot of work, but i am one of those guys who loves the challenge of wiring. now when you say "chassis service manual", is there a specific manual? There is a chassis wiring diagram in the book that i have, but it is not specific to the car.
    Would there be any possibility that it could be due to the radio, the wiring is all electrical taped, and very poorly i might add.
    i am also having a problem with the idle, with all the problems that i have been having in the column in dash area, is there any possibility that it could affect in this area as well?

thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions

Cutlass Chassis Service manuals are not hard to find, Google my friend...
    but I think your problem lies within poor wiring, I suggest fixing whats been hacked up.

The idle would not be affected by this, that would be linked to poor vacuum lines, clogged EGR, throttle shaft leakage, old coil/plugs/wires etc.
    All these affect the idle greatly and should all be gone over no matter what.

awesome.... thanks for all the help, i guess i know what project i am tackling this weekend.

much appreciated

If I had a scanner I would just scan mine for you, I have that on my to do list.

Here is one I found on a Google search I did, I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there though:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...QQcmdZViewItem

WOW!! you are amazing, its like batman and all his wonderful toys