85-87 442

Thread: What will swap into a 87 supreme

Default What will swap into a 87 supreme

I have a bone stock 87 cutlass supreme with a 307 y, a th200r4, and a 2.56 open rear end. It has the motive power of a wet sponge. I've seen on other forums that say stuffing in a 3.73 out of a 442 will help tremendously. But, are there other options? Maybe out of a delta? I'm not looking to break the tires but, I know there's more power there than what I'm feeling. I had an 84 delta with the same set up but, 3.23's out back. That one moved out better than my cutlass does. And it was heavier!

Find a 3.73 rear out of another Gbody, perhaps a Monte SS, a Bbody is too wide. Craigslist has them every now and then.
    8.5 rear wont do you any good with a 307, unless your drag racing and pushing 400hp at the tires (not the flexplate) a 7.5 will do just fine. Im running a 7.5 3.08 posi with a 375hp, 500ft-lb 455 and the 7.5 is holding up just fine with hard driving.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Quote Originally Posted by 88hurstolds View Post
    Find a 3.73 rear out of another Gbody, perhaps a Monte SS, a Bbody is too wide. Craigslist has them every now and then.
    8.5 rear wont do you any good with a 307, unless your drag racing and pushing 400hp at the tires (not the flexplate) a 7.5 will do just fine. Im running a 7.5 3.08 posi with a 375hp, 500ft-lb 455 and the 7.5 is holding up just fine with hard driving.
    Thanks. That's kind of what I was hoping for. That brings me to another question. Are the GM RPO codes generic? I can get the codes for all the axles used and their ratios. If I were to go to a bone yard and start looking at G Bodies and found a Regal, let's say, with the Codes of GM8 and G89 (2.56 open which my Cutlass has) it would be the same? And at the same token, would I be likely to find other ratios there? Or do you think they would probably be all the same? (ie. most plain jane cutlasses would probably have a 2.56 open) I know these are probably stupid questions but, I'm laid off so money is kinda tight. At the same token, I'm laid off so, I have the time. Thanks!

You just aren't going to beleive this. Just for giggles I went to out local bone yard and sitting there just waiting for me was a RPO code GT4 axle, tube code 2TF out of a '86 Monte SS for $150! Any tips before I stuff it in? Obviously I'm going to strip off all the old crap and clean it up and paint it. But, Should take a look at anything before the actual install while it's off?

Nice, change the fluid, check for ware and make sure the axel seals arent leaking.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Good score....that should increase your performance....some of those stock rear ends must have been made for fuel economy, Cuz they sure wernt designed for power!

I do not trust codes due to people the same as us swapping out parts for various reasons over the years... I generally remove the rear housing covers and divide the ring and pinion teeth counts that are located on the ring gear itself. This is a sure way to know exactly what you are buying. Hope this helps!

83-84 as monte 3.42 ratio and many were posh. Good choice and cheap