Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why did you get an olds?

Default why did you get an olds?

Well for me it was my dad.He has a delta 88 an as a kid i loved hearing that carb open up in the highway on long trips.helping my dad fix it as well got me to no an love the 307 olds engine,olds is something me an my dad an little bro will share 4 a long time
    Can You Say Vroom?!

I have been into Oldsmobiles since I was 5. I loved to work on them with my dad and bought my first one when I was 17, it was my friends 85 Cutlass Supreme. I never really noticed these cars until I saw his and fell in love with the body style. I have since owned and driven daily with the exception of winters a G-body Cutlass since then... I have owned 6 or 7 of these cars over the years and have plans for a few more...
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

olds Freak

i have been into these cars since i was literally born. my grandfather was general manager at 2 olds dealers, Belotti Olds in somerville,ma and Ideal Olds in Medford,Ma. both now out of business, the owner of belotti died and the owner of Ideal gambled the money away. my dad for many years ordered new oldmobiles at both dealers. my first olds was a '77 Cutlass Salon w/t-tops i got when i was 17 and i have owned them since. i have had my '87 442 since '91. i just picked up another '87 442 a few weekends ago and i am picking up an '83 t-top Calais this weekend.
    Last edited by inscarguy; 02-17-2009 at 06:03 PM.

I think the love 4 olds strikes you at a young age
    Can You Say Vroom?!

Quote Originally Posted by inscarguy View Post
    my first olds was a '77 Cutlass Salon w/t-tops i got when i was 17 and i have owned them since. i have had my '87 442 since '91. i just picked up another '87 442 a few weekends ago and i am picking up an '83 t-top Calais this weekend.
    Sweet, these cars are an addiction.
    I have heard those 76-77's with t-tops are VERY rare, but I think it was the 76 that only came with the 455 and is even more rare...
    How much did you grab the 87 and 83? Got any pictures? What condition are they in?
    Last edited by quick86silver; 02-19-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    Vince

86 Salon - 455 powered

My grandpa was an Olds guy he had a 67 Delmont 88 and a 70 SX when I was born.Even though I came home in a 70 Judge.Grandpa traded the SX for a 75 Cutlass Supreme.Then in 84 he bought an 84 Cutlass Supreme.Then Granpa and Grandma's last new car was a 90 Cutlass Supreme. My first Olds was a 71 Cutlass S.I wish I had kept it.It had a bench seat that I switched over too a floor shift, and built the engine to W31 specs.Around that time which was the late 80's there was an original mint 70 ralleye 350 in town had like less then 30k on it for mileage.....there was also a rally red(orange) lol W30 in town I stopeed one day and the guy took me for a ride.....Impressive most impressive
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a nice 71, I like the black/white rag top combo.
    Vince

86 Salon - 455 powered

thanks it was hardtop though just 2 toned like it had a vinyl top, the vinyl had been removed but since they left the chrome trim I thought it would look better two toned. the pic is an old polaroid of it the day I got it. I lost all my pics when my old basement got flooded was lucky i found it.......the top is actually a cream color it was very easy too spot in a crowd

I've been into Olds pretty much my whole life as well. My dad had a Delta 88 with the four barrel carb. I still remember sitting on his lap while he let me drive the car. And him explaining to me the sound of the four barrels opening up.

I was just able to pass that onto my wife last week with a new Cutlass I just picked up. Best part was when she said she loves that sound

I bought my first Olds in high school, a used 86 Cutlass, Silver A classmate's dad owned the car. I asked her every day for about 6 months if he wanted to sell the car. One day she said "well, he's been talking about it". Shortly after, it was mine!

Persistence pay's off, that is how I got my first Cutlass in High School, a burgandy 85 Supreme...
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 H/O Triple Black
    85 442 White/Sage
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

I just recently got another Olds because I just loved my first one (that I posted about above). I got rid of my first one because it was too rusted out and needed paint and tires and....

I now was finally able to afford a rust-free Cutlass that has pretty much all the work done to it.

MY DAD! Grew up with Oldsmobiles, my Dad had 98's and 88's they were great cars, Just grew up loving MY Fathers Oldsmobiles, andended up with his 1978 98 Broham. Car had a 403 , those pillow seats, the ride, great car on the dates with the ladies.

The reason I got an Olds was it happened to be a target of opprotunity, my wifes uncle was selling his car and I need another car. So low and behold I got my first cutlass and now I'm hooked. I only wish it had t-tops and bucket seats though, that's why I can't wait to pick up my new one.

Quote Originally Posted by ddub46 View Post
    I only wish it had t-tops and bucket seats though, that's why I can't wait to pick up my new one.
    Can't wait to see it, T-tops are awesome! I hate my hardtop... I have a sunroof for it but have been thinking of converting to a t-top roof.
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 H/O Triple Black
    85 442 White/Sage
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

The only thing about the car it has two rust spots on the driver side that have eaten thru, both around the rear wheel well.

I grew up around Oldsmobiles. I bought mine new in 1988, my mother had an 81 Regency 98 two door at the time.
    I haven't driven my Cutlass in 10 years but I think its time to drag it back out and do some work on it.

85 Cutlass

I bought my first Olds a week after I graduated from High School. I purchased a 55 two dr hardtop for would you beleave $350 dollars. I asked how good it ran and he stated it would take me anywhere and get me back. Back then a hand shake was a mans bond. I purchased it and I asked him if I wasn't happy with my purchase would he give me my money back. He said yes and the deal was made. The next day I told my folks my buddy and I was going to take a trip in my new car, not to worry we would be visiting family and we would keep in touch. We left Chicago on route 66, 4 days later we arrived in Los Angles Ca. Not one problem. In fact I sold the 55 in Cal and I purchased a 1961 Olds 98 Convert and that's what we drove back to chicago on Route 66. The year 1962.

Growing up, some of my best memories were going to the boondocks to visit my grandmother in my stepdad's 4 door 85? Cutlass. My grand daddy's car was a 83 Olds 98. To me, they somewhat had just as much of a luxury feel than the older Cadillacs. And nothing was like riding on those the highways at night during the summer at about 85 mph with all the window's down, here in Mississippi. When I first got out my mom's house and joined the Marines my first car was a 2 dr 85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. Ever since then, I've been a Olds guy (with the exception of a few 60's Impalas) and I've owned just about every year as far the gbodys are concerned. I love my T-top Salon and it holds the most personal value of all my cars.

Icon14 Why did you get an Olds?

Well, I wish I could say that it was some grandfather or similar type family connection that was the inspiration, but the simple reason was for my first car the 66 Olds; it was a convertible and I was 19 Y.O. and thought it was cool.
    Now with the 79 cars it's because I like the body lines and the two tone gold & white paint , the rarity of the cars, and the challange to restore them. Also I know when I'm done with the resto, it will be unlikely that I go to a car show and there will be another one there, and frankly I can't remember the last time I saw one just driving on the road.

Steve

I got my first olds back in HighSchool. 1979 Cutlass Supreme that I put a 350 rocket out of a 75 olds in and rushed through the whole process and looking back i ruined the car. My Father was a GM guy but memories he always had nicer Olds my favorite one was a Delta 88 that originally had a diesel motor but when my dad had it it was a 350. That car was just plain cool. Now I have another 79 Supreme and I am not going to rush this build, everything I wanted to do back then will come true in the next couple of years.....