Thread: shift kit-pros and cons

Default shift kit-pros and cons

It is said that you can install a shift kit while the trans is still in your car buy just dropping the diaphram.
    Does anyone have anything to say about that?
    and how technical is it?

wow never was told you can do it that way?
    Can You Say Vroom?!

Quote Originally Posted by soflown View Post
    It is said that you can install a shift kit while the trans is still in your car buy just dropping the diaphram.
    Does anyone have anything to say about that?
    and how technical is it?
    Shift kit installation is hit or miss depending on how many miles are on the trans already. If you have a high mileage trans you are going to wind up chewing up the clutch plates and the trans will start slipping. This will ultimately lead to trans failure. It is highly not recommended installing a trans kit on an older trans.

But back to your question, I have never done an installation myself and cannot attest to how easy it is...but installing a trans kit is as easy as dropping the trans pan and installing, takes about 5-6 hours to do... read the instructions thoroughly and make sure to do some research before tackling such a project.

I do know you have to be careful with installing the TV boost valve and the valve body itself, there are many balls, springs and gremlins that live in that thing and if you dump it or lose anything you are in trouble. Also, some shift kits will require a few orifices on the valve body to be drilled out to work properly, most people overlook this and just pop in the kit.

I have heard Transgo and B&M make good kits but I don't have any expereiences with them.

If you are going to be racing then:
    Larger billet servos, wider bands and a larger pressure regulator to increase the line pressure are highly recommended amont other things...

I have heard nothing about good things with these shift kits:

http://www.2004rperformancecenter.co...p?intProdID=88

http://www.2004rperformancecenter.co...p?intProdID=84

I also heard using Chevron tractor hydraulic fluid improves the performance some but I have not tried this.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof