seam sealer options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seam sealer options

Anyone know of a good, FLEXIBLE, seam sealer for sealing body joints, especially in the area where the pillar meets the firewall? I have sealed this area in the past multiple times with different sealers and always cracks over time. I am in the process of redoing it again and would welcome any suggestions. It seams what the factory put in there (foam like, rubbery, sealer) is hard to beat. This is for a 78 cutlass.
    Thanks,
    78 Cutlass Supreme
    Drive it everyday!
    sigpic

DON'T use a one part (ie it dries via solvent evaporation) like 3M and others sell...these will come on either a quart can or a SINGLE TUBE. They will shrink up and crack/pull away from the edges.

I heard that 3m heavy body seam sealer in the duramix line works really well. It is a two part sealer and does take a special gun but if you tape off your seams, apply this stuff to them and then wearing a latex glove, wet your finger and start at one end and smooth the stuff out. It looks nice, you have to pull the tape right afterwards or it will be a nightmare to get it off.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

Thanks so much. Will check out the 3m sites to get more product info. It is really frustrating when you have to rework stuff since you have to move panels/parts to seal stuff just to have it crack months later and start the rust process.
      78 Cutlass Supreme
      Drive it everyday!
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X