403 olds firing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 403 olds firing order

my 82 cutlass with a 79 olds 403 will not start i had it running good but decided to change plugs wires cap and rotor and when tearing it all off i didn't even think to figure out where the number 1 wire goes. i looked through some websites and they tell me one thing and i finally just tore it all down found my top dead center and found out it is at like 5 oclock and 11 oclock totally different from what i have been reading actually i just found one website it says at the 5 oclock position is number 1. i tried it and it will not start. i got spark i got fuel and combustion but no start and yesterday i got alittle bit of a backfire but today nothing. im frustrated with it please help me im sure its something im overlooking

#1 can be anywhere, all depends on how the distributor was installed and where your timing mark is.
    Sounds like you might be TDC on the exhaust stroke.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

i just took off the valve cover and found out that my number one is at 11 o'clock as long as this website is right telling me the exhaust valve is closest to the radiator and the intake is next to it and when the intake closes that's when it should fire is that correct if so its at 11 o'clock

Comment

well i tried starting it again with the info i have found and no start not even a noise. i have fuel i have spark and compression could there be something wrong with the distributor even if im getting spark the only things i messed with when i did this tune up is plugs wires cap and rotor and i had to reinstall the old coil on the new cap and i was also working on the steering column(took it out painted it and reinstalled it)

Comment

If you have fuel and spark it should start... if your timing is correct that is.
          When the intake valve closes the piston still needs to travel up to compress the AF mixture.
          Keep rotating the harmonic balancer till the mark is at 20* after that occurs and then look at your rotor.
          Line the #1 with the rotor tab.
          Did you loosen the distrubutor at all during all this?
          If not you should be on or coming up to #1 in a clockwise motion.
          #1 is the first piston on the drivers side.
          I believe the firing order is 18436572 counter-clockwise.
          Ignore the position of where #1 is on the cap in the photo below, its the factory location, if you pulled the distributor it may be off.

Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
          Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
          1988 H/OCA Advisor
          88 H/O #1 of 4
          88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
          88 H/O Triple Black
          87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
          85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
          85 442 White/Sage
          84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
          83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
          83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
          83 H/O #727 Maple
          "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

when i checked, it was around the 8 but i don't have a marker by the harmonic balancer i just have a screw hole someone took it off so ive been using the hole as a reference and supposedly this engine has been rebuilt so the distributor is off from stock location

Comment

Working...
            X