What does W30 mean....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does W30 mean....

This is a story from some time ago. It was a beautiful summer evening and I was at the local carwash on my towns main strip(if you can call it that), wiping down my 79 H/O. When I heard a fairly decent sounding lope and turned too see a Z it was an 80 or 81 but it wasn't stock.We talked abit and he said he had a 350 thirty over crane cam he had an aftermarket alum intake I don't recall the exact brand and posi rear, he kept askin what I had under my hood and I said ahhh nothin special just some chrome valve pans and aircleaner (in reality I had a 350 rocket .040 over edelbrock performer intake with the divider notched all Edelbrock logos removed with die grinder and painted gold too look stock) I had upgraded to an 8.5 rear with 3.73 posi, well the guys girlfriend asked me whats W30 stand for I kinda laughed and said well it means about the same as Z28 only faster.The Z owner laughed and said yeah right, so I told him hey lets go out on creamery road and find out as we were pullin out a buddy of mine pulled in in his 75 442 I motioned him too follow us, so he could start us after a couple severe ass thrashings the guy in the Z conceded that the W30 was truly faster then his mighty Z, and after that he and I became pretty decent friends.I will own another 79 H/O out of every car I have owned it is the car I miss the most.

2002 Regal GS 3.8 S/C
    1972 Cutlass S

That's awesome! :icon14:
    I love it when people underestimate the power of Olds motors...
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

That's an awesome car man. I'm just curious, what did it run at the track with all that work/mods you had done to it?

Comment

[email protected] mph was the best time I got on it with street tires never ran it with slicks.I think with todays technology and a few changes I coulda wrung more outta her.Definately coulda benefitted from drag radials
        1987 Corvette L98/700r4
        2005 Equinox
        2000 GTP 3.8 S/C
        2002 Regal GS 3.8 S/C
        1972 Cutlass S

Comment

Originally posted by 88hurstolds View Post
          That's awesome! :icon14:
          I love it when people underestimate the power of Olds motors...
          hehe I do too. I had an 80 Cutlass Supreme with a 350 rocket bored .030 W31 cam and some other mods before the Hurst and it ran like a scalded dog.It's another I wish I had back but it was sold partially too help with the H/O and too get a more daily driver friendly car for my wife
          1987 Corvette L98/700r4
          2005 Equinox
          2000 GTP 3.8 S/C
          2002 Regal GS 3.8 S/C
          1972 Cutlass S

Comment

Cool story!

Comment

got love that olds power!!!!:icon14:

Comment

I think I ran into the same guy in my W-31. Was it a blue and white Z?

Comment

Working...
                X