A and G body parts interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A and G body parts interchangability

ok, i have been doing alot of reading on other forums and the net, and from what i can gather, up until 1980 , the cutlass was considered an A body, when it was switched over to be considered a G body after that. according to what i can find i get the impression G.M. basically just start calling them a G body in 1981. is this the case ? is there a big difference between an '80 and an '81 cutlass frame or would, say a frame notch kit for a G body work on an A body cutlass ? cross members for the tranny mounts ? just curious. what about interior pieces and exterior trim pieces like dripedge and stuff...is any of this interchangeable from the '78-'80 and '81 & up ? now for my last and most important question...is interchangeability even a real word ? or did i just make that up after not sleeping since saturday morning and its now sunday night around midnight... . one of the reasons that started me off wondering about this was that i found a very clean mid 80's project cutlass locally , it was stripped, bumpers, glass, interior, everything but main body panels were stripped but were stuffed in the car and went with it. the guy was asking $650 and it lasted about 12 hours. another reason that started me wondering all this is that all the cutlass parts i come across are labeled G body

A bodies were 78-81 and used SAE threads on everthing
    G bodies were 82-88 and used Metric. This mainly affects the suspension components (wheel studs, spindles etc...)
    The interiors for 78-88 interchange with the exception of the upper Cpillar panels.
    The frames are interchangeable as welll but to install a TH2004r in anything 78-83 you need an extension piece for the crossmember
    Exterior trim, glass, fenders, doors etc... is limited by body style, 78-80 and 81-88.
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

awesome, thanks for the info. , you just made my parts hunt ALOT easier. my son just got his license last month , hes in ohio with his mom now, and i told him id help him with a car. last night he sent me a craigslist post for an 82 cutlass, looks to be in good shape as far as the body go's, the interior is rough. the guy says it has a built chevy 350 in it , but he hasnt had it running in almost a year. it has t-tops also. add also says it has a hurst ratchet shifter in it. im wondering if it could have been a 442 or H/O model originally? he wants $850 o,b,o for it. i left him a message and havent heard back from him yet. but i told my son if we get it for him and its more then he can handle , or he wants something else i would be willing to buy him a truck or whatever he wants and trade him out for the cutlass in a few months. so well see what happens with that. worst case scenario, i end up with another cutlass to love and play with, best case my son carry's on the love of the cutlass

i have another question for you or anyone else who can help. apparently my car had the partial soft top originally. i dont plan on going that way with it this means i have to cut and grind off all the little pegs across the roof for the trijm to attach to, no biggy. however, after searching the net for closeup shots of that area on cars that did not come with the soft top, it appears that i need to change a few pieces of trim on mine. the piece that goes up the pillar of my small back-side window wraps up over the top of the vehicle to make up the end of the soft top. so apparently i need to get new trim pieces that dont wrap over but stop at the drip rail. also, near as i can tell, the drip edge on my car stops and starts again about 2" apart to allow the side pillar trim to wrap up and over the roof, so i think i need to replace the piece of drip edge over the little rear side windows with a piece of dripedge that extends and meets the drip edge over the main side windows in the doors. ill post some pics tommorow of what im talking about. if im right, and i believe i am, im gonna have real fun finding those trim pieces . hopefully after i post pics tomorow you or someone else can get me some closeup shots of theyre hardtop and maybe someone here will have those trim pieces. thanks, Les

Comment

To replace the vinyl top youll need hard top quarter windows, hard top rear window trim, trunk valance panel with all the plastic clips and the three black mounting blocks for the valance panel.
        1988 H/OCA Advisor
        88 H/O #1 of 4
        88 H/O Triple Black
        85 442 White/Sage
        83 H/O #727 Maple
        "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

hmm...sounds like a lot of fun little parts to hunt down. heres some pics. if i decided to go ahead and go back with a half soft top anyone know where i coul buy one ? i sure wish lmc or someone would come out with a catalogue for these things. id still really like to go with the hardtop and eliminate the soft top though. heres some pics of what i got to deal with, although i know you already know what im dealing with hurst, but maybe some newbie will have similar questions someday and this thread could help them out

Comment

Originally posted by 88hurstolds View Post
            To replace the vinyl top youll need hard top quarter windows, hard top rear window trim, trunk valance panel with all the plastic clips and the three black mounting blocks for the valance panel.
            i apologize in advance if any of these are stupid questions. are you saying i have to replace my rear windows , if not what do you mean by "hard top quarter windows" ? and my valance panel wont work ? is there a difference between my valance and the valance used for a non-soft top ? do you have oe that you can post some closeups of ? thanks for your help already. i think im gonna post some of this over at gbody forums to. i have seen you post over there so im sure ill run into you over there as well. thanks, Les

Comment

Information I gave is for an 81-88 Gbody, I did not know you needed info on an A body.
              Ive never owned one but from the looks of it you just need the trim for the rear window and the valance panel.
              1988 H/OCA Advisor
              88 H/O #1 of 4
              88 H/O Triple Black
              85 442 White/Sage
              83 H/O #727 Maple
              "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

thank you so much for all your help so far, your the man . i recomended your forum over at the other forum to a couple of guys . after i eventually finish this 8 im wanting to build a g body cutlass next. im sure ill really be picking your brain then. thanks again bro

Comment

Working...
                X