New Member-Omaha Ne-85'/442

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member-Omaha Ne-85'/442

Hi, my name is Fader...I am new to this forum...I recently bought a 1985 cutlass 442...I haven't done much to it besides taking a almost 20 hour Roundtrip to pick it up... My 442 currently has no engine in it although I did buy an olds 350 rocket with it... Think I might reseal it & drop it In... I've been reading a lot about the olds 403 & 455s & will probably eventually go that route... The car came with the 200-4r & the 8.5"-3.73 non-posi rear end... I haven't opened either one up to investigate yet....I bought the 442 because it is nearly rust free besides the t. Top area will need a little work...It came with a mediocre grey interior installed & a really decent daily driver interior uninstalled....

I'm gonna post this in sections because I accidentally erased several paragraphs as I typed this on my iPod touch...

Like I said, I have a nice interior...I will probably keep my eyes open for a better dash & I also am looking for a grey center console...

Besides the 442, I also have an 84 regal limited with a chevy 327 & a th350... It is In decent shape with a few rust issues... ive reached the point where I want a clean shell before I spend more $$....

I also have an 03' Silverado for my daily driver...

I look forward to searching this forum for info as I Return this car to All of it's original glory....& then some...

Since it's an 85', I would love to paint it white with fresh gold 442 badges...

My main ?s right now are...
    1. How difficult is it to add posi to my 8.5"?

2. What's my best bet (in your opinion) for an engine build? 455, 403, or the 350 rocket that I have but would need rebuilt... Casting #s said it was a 1972 olds...

3. And if I built a higher up engine, how much work/$ would I have to throw @ my 200-4r...assuming it doesn't already need rebuilt?

Comment

Here is a Pic of my 442 as I loaded her up in Indiana.......
      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!
        Nice builder, looks like a fun project :icon14:
        Adding posi isn't too hard, might as well freshen up the rear while you're doing it... the hardest part is making sure the ring gear and pinion mesh up correctly. Remember the pinion uses a crush washer so you only have one try at aligning it up, if you go to tight with the gear mesh you will have to replace the crush washer. Start out large and then tighten as necessary. There are quite a few how to's out there on doing this.

If you're looking to install a motor I'd go with the 350 you have, it has the 64cc chamber heads which give you the added compression.
        Avoid the 403 unless you're gonna build it up. A stock 403 has the same hp rating as the VIN 9 307 that came stock in your '85 442.

The stock 403 was not a powerful motor at 185 hp and 320 lb·ft with a FINAL compression ratio of 7.83:1 due to the 83cc chambered heads and 22cc relieved pistons
        Heck an 83-85 VIN 9 307 has 180 hp, 245 lb·ft, 85-90 VIN Y's were 140 hp and 255 lb·ft

I have a wealth of schematics, how to's and part sources for rebuilding your car. Just ask and I'll post it...
        Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
        Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
        1988 H/OCA Advisor
        88 H/O #1 of 4
        88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
        88 H/O Triple Black
        87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
        85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
        85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
        85 442 White/Sage
        84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
        83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
        83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
        83 H/O #727 Maple
        "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

Thank you... I am jealous of your classic car collection!!! I've had my share of d.bags chuckle when I tell them I'm into re-building gm's from the 80s... More specifically G-bodies.... I went to the salvage yard tonight after a grey dash but it wasn't in any better shape then mine... I did get a new hood release & grey vent trim piece 4 below the steering wheel....Progress....& we took a spin in my best friends 86' 442 with the t.tops off & the 355Sbc screaming!... & no plates, lights, OR rear glass...Good times...once I shoot my regal In sealer/[email protected] move it to my house, we will have two 442's in my detached garage Under construction...

I wasn't to keen on the 403....& will probably stick with the 350 rocket...

I will have to research more on that posi addition...

What's the best way to get info/breAkdown the the 1985 cutlass/442 options/a availability? I keep reading there were around 400 white 85 442s... Where can I see the entire breakdown?

Thanks 4 sharing your knowledge....88HurstOlds....I started saving my change today... So I will be ready when you put "white lightning" on the market....in 57 years....

Comment

The 85 442's don't have a production breakdown as far as colors and t-tops quantitiy.
            3000 were made, I'm not sure where the quantity for 400 in white came from exactly. IIRC it was a rumor started many years back, GM can confirm the quantities of a specific RPO or color made for each year I believe but they cannot give you the quantities of multiple RPO figures such as Black cars with a maroon interior, it's not possible. With that said I don't think it's possible to mix the W42 RPO and a Paint code to gather quantities. I think GM can tell you is how many Cutlass Salon's (which the 442 was based off of) were painted white and I think that is where the figure came into play. More research needs to be done, I think Judy Badgley from the Oldsmobile Heritage Museum in Lansing might be able to answer this question...
            Three colors were only offered in 1985, white, black and gray. Figure that there were more black and gray due to the Hurst Olds carline influence in the prior years and white being less desireable you can estimate that only 400-800 were white. The number is used loosely, I've seen many years back the number 400 thrown around allot... but no one is certian.
            Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
            Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
            1988 H/OCA Advisor
            88 H/O #1 of 4
            88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
            88 H/O Triple Black
            87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
            85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
            85 442 White/Sage
            84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof