Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Cutty

Hello everyone,
    I'm glad to see there's an actual community for G-body owners, as I have just recently had a little treasure fall into my lap through inheritance . My Real name is Mark , I'm 25 now and i've lived in California my entire life . The Treasure I'm talking about, is the lovely lady in white I just had shipped to me from Douglas Az . It's my 1986 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme. Handed down to me by my aunt Molly, she was the second owner of this beauty and has kept it waiting for me for twenty years. I always wanted a Gbody , and now that i have this one I will never part with her . When I figure out how to post pictures , I plan on showing the progress I make on restoring and customizing this amazing machine . Hopefully I can get a few tips and good advice from you dudes . That's my short story , any questions must be submitted in writing.
    Sincerely,
    Whitemunky.

Welcome to the site!
    Lots of help available, just post away, can't wait to see the car
    Lightning Rods repair service:CLICK HERE
    Seller Feedback:CLICK HERE
    1988 H/OCA Advisor
    88 H/O #1 of 4
    88 CSC White/Claret - T-tops
    88 H/O Triple Black
    87 442 Black/Gray - T-tops
    85 442 White/Blue - T-tops
    85 442 White/Claret - T-tops
    85 442 White/Sage
    84 H/O Aero Commemorative #2199 - Sunroof
    83 H/O #2400 Sand Gray - Sunroof
    83 H/O #1607 Sand Gray - T-tops
    83 H/O #727 Maple
    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

Sexy lady of the 80's

If you want to see her , you have to go to my profile album. It's set on public view, so feel free to look and comment. I haven't figured out how to post pics in the reply section with my phone yet .

Comment

I wish someone had a clean cutlass waiting for me for 20 years... Looks nice! What are your plans for restoration/customization?

Comment

Well the first thing I want to do is rebuild the engine . It has the 231 cid v6 , not in bad condition but I just want to replenish all the decayed parts . The white paint is growing on me although I first considered painting it dark blue . I would like the interior to stay blue , I just have to find a good shop . I have a friend that is trying to sell me his Chevy 454 engine to put in it. I cannot lie , the amount of power that is possible with that set up is rather enticing. However , I would much rather put in an olds engine . Preferably an olds 350 rocket . I'm in the pursuit of power , Horse power that is . Any suggestions aside from an engine swap ?
          Whitemunky------

Comment

Well, I like it, not so much the blue Landau. I personally think you should keep it white, with the blue interior and just drive it and enjoy it for awhile before making any big decisions. I agree you should keep the engine Olds, because it's what it came with. My guess is you won't have the frame/body rot problems, but interior may take a kicking from all the rays you get down there (green with envy btw, I'm a sun worshipper)

Take in as much info as you can from all sources and decide what works for you. Sounds like you're in it for the long run (hope so) so try to make the best long term choices you can.

Can't tell you what specifically you should do to the car (save for change the Landau to white or black, lol) because I'm not you, and have no idea what you want, other than more power, that's a given. Looking forward to seeing you progress as you make it tho

Comment

I am leaning more into making her all white. I have yet to come across an all white cutlass in southern California , so she will definetely stand out in the crowd of new models . I'm also trying to decide if I should replace the Ding strips , or just leave them off when I get it painted . Some say they are a little old fashioned , but I want to make this car a sleeper . Anyone care to comment on this ?

Comment

If you're doing paint, take them off, see how you like it with them off. If you decide you like them on, replace them, white/chrome if you can find it?

Comment

I would leave them off.....& park away from everyone at the grocery store!

Comment

These cars look good in white, I own 3 of them
                    For some reason color just doesnt look good on these cars.
                    1988 H/OCA Advisor
                    88 H/O #1 of 4
                    88 H/O Triple Black
                    85 442 White/Sage
                    83 H/O #727 Maple
                    "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

This is my first G body . Can any of you oldsmobile Guru's give me a word of advice for maintaining a car like this as an everyday driver ? You see I have a 96' Lexus ES 300 that I'm trying to get rid of . My wife and I live in the city , and I just don't have room or need for two vehicles of my own----yet. So Im selling this Lexus for 4 grand minimum , and with the entire proceeds upgrade and refurbish the supreme . The question is , what should I get first ? Bear in mind that I am attempting to gain a little more HP than this stock v6.
                      Much thanks in advance if anyone decides to give this a go .
                      $4000.00 -----?????

Comment

It all depends on what your goal is.
                        If you're looking for fuel economy then stick with the V6 or upgrade to a 307 for a little more power.
                        A 307 is only gonna get you 14-18mpg depending on what trans and rear end you go with.
                        A 350 is another easy upgrade without killing fuel economy as well.
                        If fuel economy isn't an issue a 455 will drop right in.
                        To install a V8 you should find a $500 donor car for the frame mounts, wiring, fuel tank/lines and all the brackets etc instead of buying everything individually and wondering if you have everything or wondering where it goes.
                        For $4000 you can have a nice fresh 2004R, stout 350 or 455 (price is the same to install and rebuild either or...) and an upgraded rear end no problem.
                        1988 H/OCA Advisor
                        88 H/O #1 of 4
                        88 H/O Triple Black
                        85 442 White/Sage
                        83 H/O #727 Maple
                        "Keep them Rockets lit!"

Comment

@ 88hurstolds ,
                          Thank you for the sound advice .You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar . Now all I have to do is seek out a good engine while I wait for someone to buy my Lexus . Unless of course I find it first , then I might just sell it to carmax for quick cash . Is there anywhere online I can find a crate 350 for under 4 grand ? Or am I just being too hopeful ...?

Comment

No crate Oldsmobile engines exist, its best to find a good running core and have it freshened up.
                            1988 H/OCA Advisor
                            88 H/O #1 of 4
                            88 H/O Triple Black
                            85 442 White/Sage